I asked a person to keep my dog for 2 days now will not return her she has been licensed to me for 5 years. How can I get it back?


People who believe that their animal is being wrongfully withheld can commence a civil lawsuit to try to get the animal returned and/or for money. People who believe that their animal is being wrongfully withheld may also contact the police, although the police do not usually intervene in pet custody disputes. Evidence that the arrangement was for pet-sitting should be gathered (even texts and emails) as disputing parties often recount different versions of their agreement. For example, one person may allege that an animal was gifted and the other person may say the animal was being temporarily boarded. While a dog license can be persuasive evidence of ownership, it does not prove ownership in all situations. Courts will consider what transpired after the dog was licensed, such as whether the dog was sold, given away, or abandoned. I hope this all works out well for the dog!

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question